If you have visited Our Crafty Mom before or follow me on social media, you know I love to paint old furniture. There is something so rewarding about taking an old piece, probably headed for the trash and giving it new life. It started as a hobby years ago and now I sell some of my pieces at local shops. A lot of pieces that I paint are roadside or thrift store finds. I have learned a lot of tips and tricks over the years and thought I would share some with you.
This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you. I received product from Purdy in exchange for this post, however all opinions and love for Purdy products are 100% mine. Please see my disclosure here
5 Easy Tips and Tricks For Painting Furniture
- Prep Your Furniture-it may be as simple as making sure the piece is clean and free of any dust and dirt, or it may require sanding and/or repairs. Research the type of paint you are going to use to determine if you need to sand. Also, decide ahead of time if you are going for a smooth finish or a distressed look. This will also help in deciding what type of paint to use. This coffee table was a roadside find and you have to check out the before here
- Don’t Skimp On Paint Brushes-I am the first to admit that I am very (cheap) thrifty. If I can save a penny, I will. But skimping on paint brushes is not the way to go with painting furniture. I learned that very early on and definitely the hard way. I can’t tell you how much time I wasted picking bristles out of a beautiful piece of painted furniture! I now only use Purdy Brushes. You may pay a little bit more to start, but these brushes will last forever with proper care. Also, you won’t waste time picking out bristles! My favorite is the Purdy XL Angled Brush that I used in this thrift store cane top table makeover
- Use Foam Rollers-for painting larger, smooth surfaces foam rollers are the way to go. This is such a time saver and creates a smooth finish. This Purdy set is my go to roller system. I also use a lot of stencils and this roller is great for that as well. This Indian Inlay Stenciled Table is one of my all time favorite makeovers!
- Use A Paint Sprayer For Large Pieces-I LOVE my HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer and I have a surprise! Come back Monday for a birthday giveaway where one lucky reader will win one of these! Read more about the sprayer here
- My Most Important Tip-DON’T STRESS-seriously, it is only paint. If you don’t like what you did, sand and start over. That is another reason I like painting roadside or thrift store pieces. If I mess it up, I’m not out much money. But honestly, I am a firm believer that there are no mistakes. I can’t tell you how many times I went with an “oops” and it turned out great. Enjoy and have fun! Here is a curbside find that is a perfect example of just going with it!
I hope you enjoyed this post 5 Easy Tips and Tricks For Painting Furniture and remember to stop back Monday as I will have a week of giveaways for a very big Birthday! I am still in total denial over the number-hint 31-1+20 😀
**Pin For Later**