Looking forward to summer BBQ and cook-out season, but dreading the pesky mosquitos? This mosquito repellent mason jar hack is just what you need. It uses essential oils as a natural repellent and is so easy to make!
Spring weather is finally here, which means cook-outs, barbecues or just hanging out on the deck with a glass of spiked iced tea. The only negative about that are the annoying mosquitos! The may flies also make it difficult to enjoy. There’s nothing relaxing about constantly swatting bugs away, while trying to have a conversation.
This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. I received product from Simply Earth used in this post, however, all opinions and love of this product are 100% mine. Please see my full disclosure here.
I did a little research and found this easy and all natural mosquito repellent mason jar hack, using essential oils. So I was thrilled when Simply Earth Essential Oils reached out to me about being an Ambassador! If you are not familiar with them, they are an essential oils subscription box that you can receive monthly or quarterly. If you enter the code CRAFTYFREE with this link, Simply Earth Essential Oils you’ll receive a $40 coupon in your first box!
When you subscribe here is what you receive:
Plus your initial recipe box with four essential oils, recipe cards and more! For this mosquito repellent, I decided not to use the classic citronella, as it’s just a little too strong for me. But there are several different essential oils that act as a natural bug repellent. Let me show you what I used to make this.
Mosquito Repellent Mason Jar Hack
- Mason Jar
- Basil, rosemary and/or tree clippings
- Tea Candle
- Simply Earth Essential Oils – use my code CRAFTYFREE to receive a $40 coupon in your initial box!
- Step 1 – Add sliced lemons and limes to a mason jar. You can also use oranges, tangerines and grapefruits, as all were found to be effective at repelling mosquitoes.
- Step 2 – Add sprigs of rosemary, basil or tree clippings.
- Step 3 – Fill with water.
- Step 4 – Add about 10-15 drops of essential oils. I chose grapefruit and lemon eucalyptus, which is the active ingredient recommended by the CDC as a natural bug repellent.
- Step 5 – Finally, add a tea light candle to the top and you are done!
Do you have a favorite natural way to keep mosquitos and bugs away? Leave me a comment and let me know! Some of my blogging friends are also sharing mason jar crafts. Be sure to visit them using the links below.
Sharing is caring-please pin the image below: