Make a traditional French meat stuffing for Thanksgiving. This can be served as a side dish, or also baked in a french meat pie.
This post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see my full disclosure here.
When I signed up for this Favorite Family Recipe Blog Hop, I knew immediately I would be sharing our family’s French meat stuffing, or dressing, recipe.
This is a classic French Canadian recipe and can be made as a “french dressing” like we normally do, or in a meat pie with a few additions.
Honestly, this is pretty much the only family recipe we have, so it is very important we continue to pass it on.
Both my parents are French Canadian and this was a recipe both Grandmother’s made.
What made it extra special is it was really only made for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
We were told that our Great Grandmother on my Mom’s side taught our Grandmother how to make it, and our Grandmother taught my Mom how to make it.
This was so special to our family that before our Mom passed at the young age of 47, she made sure she taught my oldest Sister how to make it and made her promise she would show my younger Sister and I, which she did.
However, I’ve always relied on my Sisters to make it for one reason or another.
But for this challenge, I made my first French Canadian Meat Pie!
French Meat Stuffing Recipe
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 3/4 lb Ground pork
- 6 cups Mashed potatoes, hot
- 1/4 cup Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper-to taste
- Bell’s Seasoning-to taste
How to Make French Meat Stuffing
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and pork over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Remove from heat and stir in potatoes, broth and seasonings.
- The bell’s seasoning is pretty strong and too much or too little can ruin this recipe.
- It is best to start light first and then add little by little until you are happy with the flavor.
This is how are family loves to serve it for Thanksgiving.
We have both bread stuffing and this meat stuffing, that we call dressing.
It is such a sentimental recipe to us that I can’t imagine a Thanksgiving without it.
- If you would like to serve it in a pie, which is also delicious, here are the simple remaining steps.
French Meat Pie
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with pie crust. Divide meat mixture between crusts.
- Top with remaining pie crust. Cut slits on top and brush with milk if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 2 pies.
**PIN FOR LATER**
Google Web Story: French Meat Stuffing Recipe
Thank you so much for visiting. Have a great day!
You can follow me on social media below: