Wine glass painting is a quick and easy way to make your own unique and personalized glasses. Plan a fun paint and wine night with friends!
One of the many reasons wine glass painting is so popular is you only need a few inexpensive supplies to create beautiful hand painted wine glasses.
Plus, it’s easy enough for even a beginner crafter to make.
You can use stencils, stickers, tape, or detailed brush painting – whatever style you’re most comfortable with.
They even have wine glass painting designs that you can print out as a free download. You can’t get much easier than that.
I’m planning a themed wine glass sip and paint night in April to make spring or Easter glasses.
These would make a great gift for Mother’s Day, but be sure to make extra for yourself. 🙂
To really keep costs down, pick up wine glasses at the dollar store.
Best Paint for Wine Glass Painting
Before you view the gallery of beautiful wine glass ideas, it’s important to talk about the best type of paint to use.
While it is an easy DIY, the paint does make a difference in the final result.
The first time I tried painting on glass I started out really simple with a polka dots painting technique using a q-tip!
You can see how those pretty painted glasses turned out HERE.
While I am a brand ambassador for DecoArt, I genuinely LOVE their products and have been using them for most of my craft painting projects over the past 10 years.
I highly recommend the writer tip if you are a beginner painter. It makes it so easy!
Wine Glass Painting Supplies
These are the 3 basic supplies you will need to paint a wine glass; paint, paint brush, wine glass.
Here are some other common supplies:
- Acrylic Paints – choose from frosted glass paint set, acrylic enamels, water based Sharpie paint pens, Martha Stewart glitter paints, paint markers
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Clear Wine Glasses – can also use stemless
- Paint Brushes
- Painters Tape
- Paper Towels
Basic Steps for Wine Glasses Painting
- Clean your glass – it’s important to rub alcohol on the surface of the glass beforehand with a piece of paper towel to remove any dust or fingerprints.
- Choose your design – if you are new to glass painting, I recommend using beginner wine glass painting designs to start.
- Paint glasses using a narrow paint brush. For polka-dots you can use q-tips!
- Let paint air dry between coats- you will need to paint several layers of your designs onto the glass. For the polka dot glasses I used 3 layers.
- The painted glasses should sit overnight for 24 hours.
How Long to Bake Hand Painted Wine Glasses
- You will need to seal the glass. To do this set oven temperature to 350ºF. Once temperature has reached 350ºF, allow the project to bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the oven off and let wine glass cool down completely before removing from the oven. Cured surface can be washed 72 hours after baking.
- While baking the glasses does make them dishwasher safe, I recommend using the top rack only or hand washing.
Now that you’ve learned all the basics for glass painting let’s check out these DIY wine glass painting ideas so you can get inspired to make your own. Happy crafting!
I hope you enjoyed this gorgeous collection of hand painted wine glasses and that it gives you inspiration to paint your own.
If so, be sure to leave a comment below and let me know. I’ll be sure to share updated photos of our spring themed wine glasses.
Sharing is caring…please PIN the below image:
Where to buy Hand Painted Wine Glasses
If you prefer to buy rather than DIY, you can find painted glasses at most home stores such as Hobby Lobby, Homegoods and on Amazon.
I’ve gathered some of my favorite designs on Amazon that you may like! Enjoy!
Thanks so much for stopping by. Cheers!
Create a wine-themed gift basket by including these:
You can find me on social media below: