Take everyone’s favorite apple slices and peanut butter to the next level with these scrumptious ideas for sliced apple donuts!
It’s just about that time of year for all things apple or apple-flavored. Believe it or not, these are not cake donuts you are looking at!
These little bites of goodness are apple slices topped with peanut butter and other toppings like melted dark chocolate, fresh fruit and sprinkles.
Apples Slices With Peanut Butter In Donut Shapes
Juicy apple slices, perfectly cut and cored, transformed into delightful little donut shapes. But wait, it gets even better!
We’re not just stopping at apples; we’re taking these treats to a whole new level with luscious peanut butter and an array of mouthwatering toppings.
Get ready to enjoy the sweetness and crunch as we share the irresistible combination of sliced apple donuts with peanut butter and assorted toppings.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Yields 12-14 servings
- 4 apples – thinly sliced. Use your favorite like Granny Smith, Pink Lady or McIntosh
- 1 ⅓ cups peanut butter
- Suggested toppings: roasted coconut, blueberries, strawberries, sprinkles, white chocolate, and dark chocolate. (see more topping ideas below)
How to Make Apple Slice Donuts
- Wash the apples.
- Cut the apple into ½ inch slices, discarding the top and bottom slice. Consider peeling the apples if desired.
- Remove the center of the apples with a small biscuit cutter or use a melon baller.
- Spread the peanut butter on the apple slices.
Quick tip: switch it up and add Nutella to the sliced apples
Now for the best part! Sprinkle your favorite toppings over the apples and drizzle with chocolate if desired.
Why not serve it along with a scoop of ice cream for a mouthwatering apple dessert? Or a dollop of whipped cream?
Go with whatever you like best. This is a judgement free zone! 🙂
Popular Toppings For Sliced Apple Donuts
There isn’t a specific apple slice recipe to follow. This is all about experimenting with flavor combinations.
The most important thing is to have fun with it. Involve the kids in creating a delicious treat for the entire family to enjoy.
I’m thinking apple boards will be the new charcuterie board, especially for fall and Halloween
Simply set up a large cutting board or large tray with the sliced apples and an array of toppings. Guests can create their own apple donut.
Perfect for a kids birthday party or Halloween party too!
Here are some topping ideas:
- roasted coconut
- white chocolate
- dark chocolate
- chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- sliced almonds
- cinnamon sugar topping
- sugar and cinnamon
- vanilla icing
- Nutella or other hazelnut spread
- cookie butter or apple butter
Notes for Apple Slice Donuts
- These are best served immediately.
- You can pre-slice the apples in advance. Use lemon juice on the surface of the apples to prevent browning. Before decorating, pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Any type of apple will work. I used Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples. Feel free to use a combination to mix it up.
Tips for the best apple slice donuts!
- Choose firm and crisp apples for best results.
- Use a small round cookie cutter, melon baller or paring knife to core the apples and create a “donut” shape.
- Brush the apples with lemon juice to prevent browning, or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Add toppings just before serving to prevent the apples from getting soggy.
- Use a variety of toppings to make the apple donuts more visually appealing and flavorful.
- If you’re making Donut Apples for a party or gathering, consider setting up a DIY toppings bar so that guests can create their own custom sliced apple donuts .
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations and toppings to find your favorite donut apple recipe.
- Enjoy your donut apples as a healthy snack or dessert option!
Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy apple season! 🙂
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Sliced Apple Donuts?
Apple donuts are a fun way to enjoy apple slices. They are simply apples that have been sliced horizontally and cored to create a “donut” shape. Topped with peanut butter and a variety of toppings, such as coconut, strawberries, blueberries, sprinkles, white chocolate, or dark chocolate.
What are the best apples to use for Donut Apples?
Any type of apple can be used for donut apples, but firm and crisp apples like Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady work best because they hold their shape well and don’t turn brown too quickly.
How do I slice and core the apples for Sliced Apple Donuts?
To make donut apples, start by slicing the apple horizontally into rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick. Then, use a small round cookie cutter or a paring knife to remove the core and seeds from the center of each slice.
Can I make Donut Apples ahead of time?
Yes, you can make donut apple slices ahead of time, but it’s best to wait to add the toppings until just before serving. To prevent the apples from turning brown, you can brush them with lemon juice or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Are Sliced Apple Donuts a healthy snack?
Donut Apples can be a healthy snack, especially if you use peanut butter and fresh fruit as toppings. However, some toppings like sprinkles, white chocolate, or dark chocolate can add extra sugar and calories.
Can I customize the toppings for Donut Apples?
Absolutely! You can customize the toppings for donut apples to suit your tastes and preferences. Some other delicious toppings to try include chopped nuts, dried fruit, caramel sauce, or honey.
You can find me on social media below: